Friday, September 20, 2013

Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Title: Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Release Date: September 10, 2013
Page Count: 435 pages
Rating: 5/5 stars
Do I Recommend?: Abso-fucking-lutely

Summary: Cath is a Simon Snow fan.
Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan . . .

But for Cath, being a fan is her life — and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere. Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?

(Review under the cut)

Review: Wow. I don't think I've ever related more to a character, or a book more than I have with Fangirl. This book really hit close to home, in so many ways. It was like this book was written just for me.  

I loved Cath. I loved everything about her, mostly because I am her. We're both introverts who hide in fiction because, well, what's better than that? Other people make us nervous and we try our best to stay out of everyone's way. We keep things to ourselves and we're both very awkward. She's very codependent of her sister and her stories and she learns that she can't depend on them anymore and needs to branch out (I'm on the verge of that myself - but I'm not there quite yet).

Another character that I loved, after Cath, was Levi, precious, wonderful Levi! Who gave everyone a beautiful smile without a cost. A guy who loved Cath, even her fan fiction - so much that he asked her to read some of it to him. (I want my own Levi *sadface* I mean what other guy will love you AND your love of books? Even you're gay fan fiction??? Uhm, yes please!). Not to mention Reagan, a fiesty red head who didn't take anyone's shit! I loved all the characters (esp the dad), because Rowell makes them feel so real, like you know them all personally (which it did).

After I finished Fangirl, my admiration for Rainbow Rowell sky rocketed! Eleanor & Park and Fangirl are two books that relate so much to me, and in turn they mean so much to me, too. Eleanor and Cath are two characters that I completely empathize with. I know what it's like to be in their shoes, and just reading about them made the stories all the more emotional. 

Rainbow Rowell is a fantastic writer and an amazing person (I mean seriously do you follow her in twitter?). Her books make me really happy and kind of make me see myself in a better light, and I'm eternally grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment