Saturday, September 7, 2013

Review: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Title: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
Author: Jesse Andrews
Release Date: May 12st, 2012
Page Count: 295 pages
Rating: 4/5 stars
Do I Recommend it?: Hell yeah.

Summary: "Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.

Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.

Rachel has been diagnosed with leukemia—-cue extreme adolescent awkwardness—-but a parental mandate has been issued and must be obeyed. When Rachel stops treatment, Greg and Earl decide the thing to do is to make a film for her, which turns into the Worst Film Ever Made and becomes a turning point in each of their lives.

And all at once Greg must abandon invisibility and stand in the spotlight." (X)

(Review under the cut)

Review: I don't think I've ever enjoyed a book as much as I enjoyed Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, like in a laugh out loud kind of way. Not many authors can pull off humor in a novel, but Jesse Andrews did a brilliant job. There were so many times where I had to stop reading because I was laughing so hard I was crying.

If you are going to read this, do yourself a favor and don't read this outside the privacy of your own home. You'll look like an idiot laughing to yourself so hard that tears are streaming down your face. Trust me, I had a few looks when reading this on the bus ride home from work. So, yeah, don't do it. Or do it. It's your life. I don't know. Do what you want.

This book doesn't really have much of a plot, it's really just a story about a high school senior, Greg Gaines, who rekindles an old friendship with a girl named Rachel who was recently diagnosed with Leukemia, due to his mothers persistence. And he has a friend named Earl and they make films together.

I actually love the writing of the story, because I felt like the story was being told to me, instead of reading one. Greg speaks very openly, and doesn't try at all to sound sophisticated or intellectual. Not to mention the book is straight up hilarious. Greg is such an awkward human and he's very witty and ironic and sarcastic and everything he says is hilarious. Although he's not a character we can sympathize with, he is very real and honest. Did I mention he's hilarious?

The only problem I had was with Earl's character. His dialogue seemed very .... Unreal? I don't know, it didn't sound right. Earl is a ghetto black kid, but he sounds like he's trying so hard to be one. For one, as much as they curse, they don't do it so often in one small sentence (I know, I'm surrounded by them daily). It's not even racist, the way Andrews would describe him and the way he made Earl talk, it was just wrong. Like he was trying too hard? I didn't like Earl for that reason, because his dialogue was mixed with too many curse words and things a sixty year old black man would say. That doesn't really go well. (For the record, I'm not trying to be racist, I'm just speaking freely. This is my blog after all).

But all in all, I fell in love with the book and I would love to read more from Jesse Andrews!

No comments:

Post a Comment