Sunday, October 27, 2013

Review: The House of Hades by Rick Riordan

Title: The House of Hades (Heroes of Olympus #4)
Author: Rick Riordan
Release Date: October 8, 2013
Page Count: 583 pages
Rating: 4/5 stars
Do I Recommend it?: Absolutely!
Summary from Goodreads: At the conclusion of The Mark of Athena, Annabeth and Percy tumble into a pit leading straight to the Underworld. The other five demigods have to put aside their grief and follow Percy’s instructions to find the mortal side of the Doors of Death. If they can fight their way through the Gaea’s forces, and Percy and Annabeth can survive the House of Hades, then the Seven will be able to seal the Doors both sides and prevent the giants from raising Gaea. But, Leo wonders, if the Doors are sealed, how will Percy and Annabeth be able to escape?They have no choice. If the demigods don’t succeed, Gaea’s armies will never die. They have no time. In about a month, the Romans will march on Camp Half-Blood. The stakes are higher than ever in this adventure that dives into the depths of Tartarus.


(Review under the cut)


Review: (Spoilers!) The Percy Jackson series was one of my favorite series, so of course The Heroes of Olympus spin off series became even more one of my favorites and I was very much anticipating the release for this book after I read Mark of Athena and let me tell you, Rick Riordan did not disappoint.


I was never able to handle a whole set of characters in a book, let alone their back stories but Riordan did a very great job of introducing each character and telling us each of their stories and how they're all different, yet they all relate to each other in some way. He made me fall in love with each character and drew me into their story, into their relationships.

My favorite things about this series is that it's never boring. With almost six hundred pages, you fear that there will be a dull moment here and there (I was dreading those moments), but it never came. Each other chapter, you come across a new god and a new myth, a new challenge. It amazes me that there's always more to learn- more stories, more gods-when it comes to Greek mythology!

The character development in this book was amazing. Frank and Hazel both got to grow into themselves! Frank finally discovering who he is, or rather, who he is meant to be. And Hazel's new self-discovery! Her passion and courage and her new talent made her story all the more interesting! Their relationship was also something I became very attached to. Percy and Annabeth definitely grew, both individually and as a couple, after their journey through Tartarus. Jason and Piper didn't do much for me in this book.

My favorites in the series this time around (although these two are always my favorites) were Leo and Nico! My babies! Leo finally gets a love interest! What?? And not with just anyone, with Calypso! I absolutely loved how they both hated each other at first, but in the days they were stranded together on the island, they both warmed up to each other and sort of fell for each other and helping each other out. When Leo promises to come back and rescue her, to take her away from the island, my heart did the biggest leap! Leo is such a brave and wonderful character, someone who sticks to their word and is always there for those he cares about. I'm really hoping he truly does rescue her in the next book!

And Nico!!!! I can't get over his story. Nico has been one of my favorite characters ever since he was introduced in Percy Jackson and the Titan's curse. His pain and his turmoil makes him so angry and upset, my heart literally aches for him. Nico believes he has no one. He's blind to people's trust when everyone else looks at with with either pity or disgust. Nico is a beautiful character and I honestly wish there was more with him! I hope he has a POV chapter in The Blood of Olympus, because I will go absolutely nuts if we don't. Nico deserves so much more than what is he has. I truly can't describe, can't put in words how much I love him.

Rick Riordan is a fantastic writer, giving us both humor and heart all wrapped in one. The House of Hades was a fantastic book, a great addition to a fantastic series, and I'm super anxious for the last book in the series coming out next year, The Blood of Olympus!

No comments:

Post a Comment