Monday, December 9, 2013

Review: Bloodlines & The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

Title: Bloodlines
Author: Richelle Mead
Release Date: August 23, 2011
Page Count: 421 pages
Rating: 4/5 stars
Do I Recommend it?: Hell yeah

Summary from Goodreads: "Sydney is an alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of human and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. But what unfolds is far worse. Jill Dragomir - the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir - is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding. To avoid a civil war, Sydney is called upon to act as Jill's guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the last place anyone would think to look for vampire royalty - a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California. But instead of finding safety at Amberwood Prep, Sydney discovers the drama is only just beginning."

Title: The Golden Lily (Bloodlines #2)
Author: Richelle Mead
Release Date: June 12, 212
Page Count: 418 pages
Rating: 5/5 stars
Do I Recommend it?: Absolutely.

Summary from Goodreads: "Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets—and human lives.
Sydney would love to go to college, but instead, she’s been sent into hiding at a posh boarding school in Palm Springs, California–tasked with protecting Moroi princess Jill Dragomir from assassins who want to throw the Moroi court into civil war. Formerly in disgrace, Sydney is now praised for her loyalty and obedience, and held up as the model of an exemplary Alchemist.
But the closer she grows to Jill, Eddie, and especially Adrian, the more she finds herself questioning her age–old Alchemist beliefs, her idea of family, and the sense of what it means to truly belong. Her world becomes even more complicated when magical experiments show Sydney may hold the key to prevent becoming Strigoi—the fiercest vampires, the ones who don’t die. But it’s her fear of being just that—special, magical, powerful—that scares her more than anything. Equally daunting is her new romance with Brayden, a cute, brainy guy who seems to be her match in every way. Yet, as perfect as he seems, Sydney finds herself being drawn to someone else—someone forbidden to her.
When a shocking secret threatens to tear the vampire world apart, Sydney’s loyalties are suddenly tested more than ever before. She wonders how she's supposed to strike a balance between the principles and dogmas she's been taught, and what her instincts are now telling her.
Should she trust the Alchemists—or her heart?"

(Review under the cut)
Review: Since I read these two a while go, back to back, I thought it would be best to write a review all together. And also because even though it was a week ago, I barely remember enough to write a long enough review on each of them.

I'm going to apologize in advanced for writing some of this in bullet points, and the casual language, because I don't have the patience to write out an eloquent book review and these books is just OMG.

Can I just start off by saying that when I first started Bloodlines, I was scared because I was bored right off the bat (because, lets face it, Sydney can be boring sometimes) and then I was angry because the first other character we were introduced to is her asshole father and sister, which made me enraged. Oh and lets not forget god damn Stanton. Scratch that, I hate all the Alchemists entirely. 

But yeah, I thought this book was going to be boring but I'm super glad it's not, A+ Richelle Mead!

I thought bloodlines was going to be whatever but then Adrian Ivashkov got involved and just made the book 10x better *sighs*
  • Can we just talk about Adrian Ivashkov for s second here????????
In the VA series, I'll admit, I barely cared about Adrian. Not when there was my bb Dimitri, my sun and my stars, in the spotlight. To me, Adrian was just someone who everyone hyped about and I kinda got it. But then in Spirit Bound (I think it's Spirit Bound?) Adrian and Rose started dating and I lost my damn mind because what??? This doesn't make sense! She has no feelings for him, in that way. Sure, she loves him, but the way she would love a brother (who constantly hit in her lol). Not to mention she used him for his money and then dumped his ass on the street later on. But besides that, I didn't care for him.

Then comes Bloodlines and just *swoons* 

Adrian Ivaskov, light of my life. 

My favorite thing about this series is Sydney's and Adrian's relationship. In these books, Sydney doesn't write him off like everyone else does. She calls him out on her shit and tells him he's not the victim, and he needs to make himself better so others can see him for who he really is, instead of some party boy philanthropist or whatever. And Sydney makes Adrian want to be better, she inspires him. Adrian wants to be better for Sydney and I'm just


And how about the fact that Adrian is always looking out for Sydney, an alchemist, who thinks his kind, the Moroi are disgusting and inhuman and and evil, but he still cares about her and wants to protect her??? Can we just?????? *collapses*

Also let talk about other things (bullet point time)
  • Eddie Castile, my prince
  • MICAH LOOKS/IS LIKE MASON *cries* 
  • This whole "three guys like Jill at the same time" didn't flow with me
  • She's fucking 15 for christ sake
  • I thought that was stupid and just, well, stupid
  • ADRIAN IVASHKOV LIGHT OF MY LIFE
  • (sorry)
  • These books are very fast paced, which THANK GOD
  • All these characters are beautiful and I love them all.
  • Dimitri and Sonya in The Golden Lily??? 
  • Dimitri *u*
  • Lee's story was cool as f*ck, I'm ngl
  • And the whole Warriors of Light thing? Also cool.
  • I'm not surprised that the Alchemist are doing skechy undercover things!  
I wish I had more, but this is all I remember. 

Bloodlines is such a great series. I've already read The Indigo Spell (loved it! Might do a review soon) and I think, after finals, I'm going to start The Fiery Heart (or I might cheat and read it before then lol who knows).

No comments:

Post a Comment