Sunday, December 29, 2013

Review: Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger


Title: Let the Sky Fall (Sky Fall #1)
Author: Shannon Messenger
Release Date: March 5, 2013
Page Count: 404 pages
Rating: 3.5/5 stars
Do I Recommend it?: Yes.

Summary from Goodreads: "Vane Weston should have died in the category-five tornado that killed his parents. Instead, he woke up in a pile of rubble with no memories of his past - except one: a beautiful, dark-haired girl standing in the winds. She swept through his dreams ever since, and he clings to the hope that she's real.

Audra is real, but she isn't human. She's a sylph, an air elemental who can walk on the wind, translate its alluring songs, even twist it into a weapon. She's also a guardian - Vane's guardian - and has sworn an oath to protect him at all costs.

When a hasty mistake reveals their location to the enemy who murdered both their families, Audra has just days to help Vane unlock his memories. And as the storm winds gather, Audra and Vane start to realize that the greatest danger might not be the warriors coming to destroy them, but the forbidden romance growing between them.
"

(Review under the cut)

Review: I'm going to be completely honest here: I mostly wanted to read this book (nay, have this book) because of the cover. I mean, can we just stare at it for a moment? It's just so beautiful! The clouds! The colors! The two people falling totally compliment it. And the text looks good, too!

As for the plot, I'm kind of torn. I really liked it, but I had so many problems with it.

Lets start with what I did like about the book.

I liked their world, whatever it's called. (Their sylph world? Windwalker world?). I kinda wish we could meet their main city, the lair or whatever, even thought it was infiltrated by Raiden and his Storm troopers. I guess we'll get to that in the next book? (I hope so!).

One thing that authors struggle with is writing two pov in one book and making them different from another (*cough* Allegiant *cough), but Messenger did a good job and making Audra's chapters sound like Audra and Vane's chapters sounding like Vane. This is something a lot of authors can't pull off, and Messenger did a good job. Two points for you, Messenger!

Another thing I liked about this book, and the main thing I liked, was Vane Weston. My adorable and snarky prince Vane Weston.


If it wasn't for Vane's pov chapters, I wouldn't have lasted long with this book.

Sweet prince Vane (well king, actually, if what I read from the next book is true lol) was the best. He's the kind of character I always love to read: Sarcastic, snarky at times, witty, yet kind and courageous and overall amazing. Damn it, we've reached that part where I love something so much that I don't know what words to use to describe how wonderful he is and I'm hoping you can tell from my lack of words and all my feels!!! I can't even choose a specific moment when he was just amazing, because he was always amazing.

Now lets talk about the one thing I didn't like: Audra


It wasn't that Audra was a badly written character (which she kind of was, but Ill get to that in a moment), but she was just so annoying that I just couldn't bring myself to like her, or care for her.

Lets start off with the fact that she is described as tough and powerful and she slashed her sword, Windslicer, to be intimidating, but she was anything just.

Every time Vane approached her and asked her a question about her past, or his past (that her mother wiped away from him and she lied about it, telling him it was irretrievable btw), she would get all shy and bite her lips and look away, refusing to answer his questions. Why are you shying away like a coward when all he's asking is a question? *roll eyes* And whenever someone says something mean to her? She shies away, too, like *girl* get your shit together.

Audra would get super annoyed that Vane wasn't taking his training seriously, and would get annoying because he doesn't understand how valuable he is. Of course he doesn't! He literally just found out he wasn't human. And now you're going to throw on him that he's going to be a future king, and that he's betrothed, and that he's the most powerful windwalker ever and he has to defeat very powerful and evil storm troopers in five days and you want him to accept all that and just take that role easily and gladly???


Lol lets fast fowards to the end at the battle scene, where brave and super girl Audra is getting her ass kicked by the Stormers, and she's barely putting up a fight.

No, my friends, this isn't a "she gave her all but the competitor overpowered her and now has taken advantage of her moment of weakness to take her down." No, this is a "she barely put up a fight when the Stormer first attacked her and literally almost did nothing to fight back."

And then Audra leaves at the end of the book??? Like, okay, I get it, you've practically been a slave for ten years and you want a break, but honestly? When Vane needs you most, you decide to do what you want to do for once and leave him?


Overall, I liked this book, mostly because of the wonderful Vane Weston, but I'm not sitting at the edge of my seat waiting for the next one to come out. I wish I was more excited about it, but I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment