Sunday, December 8, 2013

Review: No Place Like Oz by Danielle Page

Title: No Place Like Oz (Dorothy Must Die 0.5)
Author: Danielle Paige
Release Date: November 12, 2013
Page Count: 196 pages
Rating: 3.5 stars
Do I Recommend it?: If you're a fan of The Wizard of Oz (either the book or the movie), you'll definitely enjoy this novella.

Summary from Goodreads: "After returning to Kansas, Dorothy Gale has realized that the dreary fields of Kansas don’t compare to the vibrant landscapes of Oz. And although she’s happy to be reunited with Aunt Em, she misses her friends from the yellow brick road. 

But most of all, Dorothy misses the fame and the adventure. In Kansas she’s just another prairie girl, but in Oz she was a hero. So Dorothy is willing to do anything to get back, because there really is no place like Oz. But returning to the land she left comes at a price, and after Dorothy is through with it, Oz will never be the same."

(Review under the cut)

Review: The week this novella was coming out, there was so much hoopla about it on twitter and goodreads, and tumblr and I was just like what's the big deal? So when I looked into this series and checked it out, I understood the hoopla - and I joined.

No Place Like Oz is retelling of the ever-so famous classic, The Wizard of Oz by L.Frank Baum, but this story takes place two years after Dorothy returns to Kansas. Ever since she got back, she's been tired of dreary and bleak Kansas, and wants nothing more than to go back to the wonderful world that is Oz.

When she gets to Oz, she becomes obsessed with magic and wants to learn how to do magic. Soon enough, she becomes a master and learns how to do magic on anything and everyone, even Princess Ozma. The magic corrupts her and turns her evil (this really isn't a spoiler because the title of the next book is Dorothy Must Die).

(To my ignorance, I never knew that The Wizard of Oz was a book, let alone a series! And that Ozma really is a character in the Oz series, so it made me happy to know that this novella really did venture back to the original books a bit. Excuse me while I look up the Wizard of Oz books to buy on Amazon).

What I really liked about this book was how it was written. The voice of it sounded exactly like Judy Garland's in The Wizard of Oz. (Does that make sense?). When I was reading it, I couldn't help but read it in an innocent Kansas accent and imagine myself wearing a checkered blue and white dress and having braided pigtails. I think that was Paige's idea, and she did a very good job.

Another thing I liked about this story was about the character turning evil. I've never read about a character turning evil, but instead of an evil character getting redemption. It was nice for it to be turned around and the whole concept of Dorothy turning evil intrigued me. Even with a novella and it's limited pages, it was done very nicely and at a very good pace.

All in all, this novella peeked my interest and I can't wait for the follow up novel, Dorothy Must Die.

No comments:

Post a Comment