Monday, December 16, 2013

Writing Good Reviews vs. Writing Bad Reviews

Every time I finished a book, I get a huge urge to rant about it. All the things I loved and all the things I hated. The characters, the plot, certain moments, certain chapters - you get it. I don't have many friends who read books, so to rant to them about books would be equivalent to talking to a brick wall. Which is why I made this blog. This beautiful sanctuary of  blog. (Sure, almost no one reads my posts, but it's still good to have a place to rant).

When I write reviews, I often get stuck in my emotions. I usually have no idea what to say, don't know which words to use, which would fit best with what I'm feeling. And sometimes I feel as if I have too many words at my disposal and don't know which one I should use! This usually (and by "usually" I mean "always") happens when I write reviews.

When I'm writing a good review about a book that I loved, I feel stumped. All I can seem to think about is how the book was so amazing, how it was so good, that it's like I've hit a brick wall of feels and I can't seem to get past the state of holy-shit-this-book-was-so-damn-great. Basically I'm just like


But when I'm writing a review on a book I didn't like, I can't help but let my hatred seep out of my pores and spew onto my words. You know what I mean? I can't help but dissect every aspect of the book and just shout from the highest mountains why it was so bad. Like, once I start a bad book review, I can't stop myself until I've elaborated on each and every thing wrong with the book.

Am I the only one? Does anyone else get stuck writing a good book review but can't help but write a novel for your bad book reviews? Please, leave a comment below and let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Haha this is like the story of my life. I finish an amazing book and I'm just like OH MY GOD THIS WAS SO GOOD HOW DO I EXPLAIN?! But with a bad book I'm like "Okay, here we go. This was awful, and here's a, b, c, reasons why, with detailed analysis of the text." It's so unfortunate! I want to be able to quantify my love for certain books as much as my dislike of others, but it's really difficult. I've been trying to work on it, though, and I think I've gotten a little bit better. Taking notes and marking favorite passages helps me remember later what I was feeling before the book hangover started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I'm glad you agree with me! And I just started taking down notes recently, because I couldn't remember any of the specific things I liked/hated.

      Delete
  2. This is me too, exactly! I always have issues writing reviews for books that I loved. Sometimes you can't put the reason why you loved it in your review because of spoilers and so I always feel like I end up sounding like a complete idiot just saying "this was amazing" over and over again!
    I recently just read a book which I didn't enjoy and didn't think was very good, and I found it really difficult to write my review in a constructive criticism kind of way. I felt like everything I wrote just came out plain mean! I agree with the above post about making notes throughout, it really helps to have pointers when writing the review. I also like to record myself immediately when finishing a book, talking about that book. This originally was just meant to be to remind me, when writing the review, the main things good and bad that really stuck out to me. But then my friends saw them and convinced me to put them online with my reviews and so started my 'Initial Reaction' videos. I do find that they really help with the reviews though, as I find it much easier to talk about things then write about them, and I am able to get my main message across clearly! :)

    ReplyDelete