Friday, January 17, 2014

Double Review: Sapphire Blue and Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier


Title: Sapphire Blue / Emerald Green
Author: Kerstin Gier
Release Date: October 30, 2012 / October 8, 2013
Page Count: 362 pages / 447 pages
Rating: 4/5 stars to both
Do I recommend?: Yes, this series is wonderful!

(Review under the cut)

Summary | Sapphire Blue
Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.

At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.
Summary | Emerald Green
Gwen has a destiny to fulfill, but no one will tell her what it is. She’s only recently learned that she is the Ruby, the final member of the time-traveling Circle of Twelve, and since then nothing has been going right. She suspects the founder of the Circle, Count Saint-German, is up to something nefarious, but nobody will believe her. And she’s just learned that her charming time-traveling partner, Gideon, has probably been using her all along. 
This stunning conclusion picks up where Sapphire Blue left off, reaching new heights of intrigue and romance as Gwen finally uncovers the secrets of the time-traveling society and learns her fate.

My thoughts:

I read both these books back to back, and while my original thought was to make a separate review for each individual book, I had gotten halfway into Emerald Green and completely forgot what happened in Sapphire Blue, so I thought it was best to compact it into one review.

I adored this series much more than I thought I would. I'm glad I went into it with little to no exception, because it made me enjoy the series all the more. To be, it's best to enjoy a book when you go into it and expect nothing, and become overwhelmed with emotion when it's spectacular, and feeling nothing when you finish and realize you didn't enjoy the book.

I'm not a fan of time traveling, because it always confuses me. I mean, if you go back to the past to fix something, and then the past you lives their lives and get to your point in the future and then they decide to travel back, aren't they just going in a never ending circle? Especially in the BBC show Misfits when (SPOILER! MISFITS SPOILER!) Alisha dies and Simon goes back in time to save her. He already went back in time once to save her, but aren't the events going to keep happening? They're just stuck in a limbo. (SPOILER OVER! Back to your regularly scheduled programmed ... er .. review!). I admit, I was very confused at some moments about the time traveling, but thankfully not enough to get me lost.

The concept/plot of this story, to me, was thought out very well. It was a big anti-climactic at times, especially when the guardians would act as if the circle closing is a gift sent from God himself and would be very anal about the Count. I found it amazing that not once did they suspect that the count was going to use the circle of twelve closing for evil. I mean, the Count just oozes evil. (Btw, I don't understand how the Count was able to get his hands on the crystals for whatever that made him immortal? Or was he always immortal?).

I'm going to miss Gwyneth and Giden and all their adventures, especially with Lesley and Raphael. I wish we had more of Gwen with Lucy and Paul, those rare and small moment when they appeared were my favorites and I hate that they didn't have more scenes. (Though I am glad they had the epilogue and the prologues).

This series is a very quick and light hearted read, and I recommend this to anyone who enjoys a fun, time traveling adventure! (Basically, any Doctor Who fan, lol).

No comments:

Post a Comment