Sunday, January 5, 2014

End of Year Survey: 2013 Edition


Yes, another late post, please forgive me. I found this survey on Jaime's blog recently (and when I say recently, I mean like a couple of minutes ago) and I knew I had to do this survey. I love reading books, but I love talking about books more, and what better way to do that than to answer questions about books?

Last year, I read exactly 54 and I had quite a roller coaster adventure with them all. I loved some, I hated some, and some I had neutral feelings towards. I hope in this year, 2014, I have a much more of a crazy roller coaster rides with my picks! (And by crazy I mean a lot of heart wrenching books that will make me want to crawl under my sheets and cry. Who doesn't love books like that?)

Alright, on with the questions!

1. Best book you read in 2013?
I'm going to separate this in genre's because I couldn't pick just one. These books are all Young Adult:
Contemporary: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Dystopian: Champion by Marie Lu
Fantasy: Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
Paranormal: The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead
Science Fiction: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t?
Oh man. There are so many books I could choose for this one, but I'm going to have to say The DUFF by Kody Keplinger (review can he found here). I thought I was going to love this book but I ended up hating it with a passion.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
For this one, I'm going to say Cinder by Marissa Meyer, because I thought I was only going to like it, but instead I was over the moon about it! So much that I devoured both that and it's sequel, Scarlet. And now I'm in desperate need for the third book in the series, Cress.

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
Probably the Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi. Once I read Unravel me, I begged all my friends to read it and got them hooked.

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
Most definitely The Vampire Academy series and the Bloodlines series, both by Richelle Mead, whom I wouldn't have read if it wasn't for the constant bullying of my friends. So, thank you friends :)

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Rainbow Rowell! Hands down.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. This is the first Adult contemporary I read and, even though I enjoyed it very much, it was a very different read than what I'm used to.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book of 2013?
The 5th Wave, most definitely. Although, once I got halfway, I got a little bored and put it down and read another book, but once I continued reading, I literally did not stop.

9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
I don't really plan on re-reading any books from 2013 in 2014 because my TBR pile is super huge and with all the new releases coming out this year, it's only going to get bigger ... You know what, I take that back. I might re-read the Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead, because I miss it so much.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

11. Most memorable character in 2013?
This is going to be a tie between my precious angels, Mal from Shadow and Bone and Evan Walker from The 5th Wave. Both were truly my favorite male characters on 2013 that I absolutely fell head over heels in love with. (Yeah. It's that intense).

12. Most beautifully written book in 2013?
This is a three-way tie between Eleanor & Park, Graceling, and The 5th Wave.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Eleanor & Park and Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. Literally two books that I can really connect and relate to.

15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013?
"I tried to be a better person for her– but it was to impress her, to get her to want me. But when I’m around you, I want to be better because… well, because it feels right. Because I want to. You make me want to become something greater than myself. I want to excel. You inspire me in every act, every word, every glance. I look at you, and you’re like… like light made into flesh. […] You have no clue how beautiful you are or how brightly you shine." - Adrian Ivashkov, The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

16. Shortest and longest book you read in 2013?
Shortest: Angelfall by Susan EE (284 pages)
Longest: House of Hades by Rick Riordan (587 pages)

17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
SHADOW KISS BY RICHELLE MEAD. DO I NEED TO ELABORATE FURTHER???

18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc.)?
Wow. For friendship, I'm going to say Clay and Penumbra's relationship but romantic, I'm going to go with Eleanor and Park from, well, Eleanor & Park.

19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you’ve read previously?
I don't have any for this, because all the authors that I've read from this year have only written once book/series. Even if they're written books previously (Richelle mead, for example), I only discovered them this year so they don't count.

20. Best book you read in 2013 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from someone else?
This is a hard one, because a lot of books I've read were solely on recommendations, but I'm going to go with The Lunar Chronicles (Cinder, Scarlet) by Marissa Meyer.

21. Genre you read the most from in 2013?
Definitely Dystopian/Science Fiction.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Okay, let me take out my list *pulls out ten foot long page* ... I'm going to say .... Ugh! This is so hard to chose, but I'm going to pick someone I haven't mentioned yet: Wolf from Scarlet by Marissa Meyer.

23. Best 2013 debut you read?
Definitely Dear Life, You Suck by Scott Blagden.

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo.

25. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013?
I absolutely enjoyed reading Just One Day by Gayle Forman. Such a good book! *hugs book to my chest*

26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013?
Stupid Allegiant by Veronica Roth.

27. Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out?
Hm, maybe Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger? This book doesn't have much hype. I'll admit, the only reason I wanted it was because of the gorgeous cover. (No, I am not ashamed). This book turned out to be pretty good, which I wrote all about in my review here.

So yeah, that was fun! Nothing makes you more pumped than answering questions about books!

What do you think? Do you agree with my choices? Do you disagree? What were your favorite books of 2013? Please leave me a comment below and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment