Monday, January 27, 2014

Review: Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Title: Allegiant  (Divergent #3)
Author: Veronica Roth
Release Date: October 22, 2013
Page Count: 526 pages
Rating: 2.5/5 stars
Do I Recommend it?: Lol no. Just read Divergent and Insurgent and forget Allegiant ever happened.

Summary from Goodreads:"The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. 

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love."

(Review under the cut)

Review: I hate to say that I didn't like the conclusion to the Divergent trilogy. This book had the potential to be amazing, it really did. But to me, it was such a disappointment compared to the first two. From the beginning to about 70% of the book, I was bored. But knowing the series, I kept reading, hoping it would pick up sooner or later, but it didn't until the end. An ending which I hated, along with the rest of the world, but we'll talk about that later.

Allegiant was written mainly to explain the reason behind the factions and why they did what they did. It was more of an exposition book, if anything, which was why it was so dull. It was still fun to see the gang discover things that we are so accustomed to for the first time, like airplanes and finding out about the United States, which made me laugh. 

One thing I found annoying was Tobias and Four's relationship ever since Insurgent. They were so floppy, it made me angry, and it was worse in Allegiant. One of them makes a mistake, and the other instantly wants to break up. I understand that actions have consequences, but dude, when you want to break up and get back together all the time? Um, how about no? And Four didn't even seem like the guy we met in Divergent. In Allegiant, he was a baby. The way he acted out when he discovered that he really isn't divergent, that his genes were messed up? That he just went along with the other girl (I forgot her name. Maybe Ria? Did it start with an R?) and acted recklessly, because he was emotional - no. That's not the Tobias we fell in love with.

Along with that, writing in dual perspectives didn't exactly work out for Veronica Roth, did it? Both perspectives sounded so alike, I had to go back to the first page of the chapter I was on to see who's pov I was reading in because they both sounded the same. Even though I did like that we got to see more of the world, but not a lot.

One thing that, until this day, I can't get over is the ending. Mind you, I read this book a week after it came out and the ending still baffles me. I understood why Roth killed off Tris and ended the series that way, I do, but the way she did it doesn't make any sense to me. Tris survived  the Death Serum, she was able to walk through it and be okay, but she died from being shot? By a guy in a wheelchair, no less? I mean, she has been dodging bullets for two books and that's how she dies? I'm sorry but I found that pathetic.

Overall, I thought this book was okay. I didn't love it, nor did I hate it. I just hate how it ended. It wasn't great, but it sure left me crying and left me empty for days.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, yes. The worst part about Allegiant was how alike the POVs sounded. I've really never read a book where it happened THAT badly. I found myself constantly flipping back and forth, trying to remember who's perspective it was. I didn't mind the whole "Tris dying" thing, but overall this book wasn't my favorite. I'm with you...didn't hate it or love it. But, just a hint, you might want to warn people that there's going to be spoilers in your reviews! Especially such a huge one like Tris' death. I only read reviews of books that I've read anyway, so it doesn't matter to me personally, but a lot of people don't do that...so you might want to be more careful in the future :) Just a friendly reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree with me! And I put in my About Me a disclaimer that every post contains spoilers (because I can't contain myself lol).

      Delete
  2. I felt the same way. I off and on read at this for months because I immediately knew it wasn't going the way I had hoped. I really loved Insurgent. I absolutely stoked after the big "duh duh duuuuuh" bombshell that got dropped right after Jeannine's karmic retribution. And then Allegiant happens and it's like nothing that happened before even matters.

    I think it was a total copout for Tris to be killed off. That was the easiest way to end the series. What's more, she doesn't even fade into nothingness with some poignant final thoughts. She's just dead and apparently Divergent didn't really mean anything at all. And after all the vivid explainations over the effects of all the other serum experiences Tris had, this one evoked nothing but the feeling of slipping away. Then she doesn't die from the serum.. and "why" is never explained. I wanted to know so bad why Tris was immune to all of the serums. Was she the only one? And what the heck was out there in the vast world because no one strayed very far...

    So what was the point of the story?

    ReplyDelete