Thursday, January 30, 2014

Review: Pivot Point by Kasie West

Title: Pivot Point (Pivot Point #1)
Author: Kasie West
Release Date: February 12, 2013
Page Count: 343 pages
Rating: 5/5 stars
Do I Recommend it?: Hell yes!!!!

Summary from Goodreads:"Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not. 

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without."


(Review under the cut)

Review: After I finished Pivot Point, I had a small silent moment to myself where it seemed like time stopped, my brain slowly absorbing what I had just read. Only to have that moment end seconds later when my emotions heightened to the thousands and I couldn't stop screaming about this book and I instantly texted my friends, telling them that they had to read this book asap.

As soon as we get to the first page, we're already introduced to Addie and her world of super powers (and I use the term super power loosely, since all of their powers are only mental: telepathy, telekenesis, persuasion, deception. You get it). We learn about the world without it being explained to us, which generally happens and I never like it. It's like the character is taking a step outside of the book to explain to us the "paranormalcies" of the storyline, and then stepping right back into their story. West's explanation of Addison's world was enjoyable and, thankfully, easy to follow.

My feelings throughout the book was a mess of a roller coaster ride. At first, I thought it was okay, but once we get more into it, and Addie starts relationships with other characters was when the book got good. Each chapter went back and forth, one chapter following Addie's life if she chose to stay in the Compound and live with her mom, the next chapter following Addie's life if she left the Compound to live with her dad among the "Norms." Let me just say, the chapters where Addie was living with her dad was my absolute favorite! And we all can guess why! (Trevor!!!) *sighs* *swoons*

Whenever the chapters went to Addie's life in the Compound, I would instantly get angry, because those chapters consisted of Duke, the charming football jock who is super gorgeous and every girl in school is in love with him. The guy who gets everything and anything he wants just by flashing his pearly white teeth (I mean, I'm assuming their white), and says the right words to make everyone fall in love with him, even our main character, Addie *gags*

I never liked the jock's who can get any girl they want, who can do anything they want, get away with anything they want. I don't like them, I hate them. To the core. And since the beginning, I had a very, very, very bad feeling that Duke was using out precious Addie for selfish, egotistical reasons (because that's what they always do) and dear god, I was right. But that didn't prepare me for the ending of this book. Let me tell ya ... The ending of this book ... OH MY DAMN.

Throughout the whole book, we're lead to believe that this drug dealer named Steve "Poison" Paxton is the true killer behind the murder of this young girl that happens recently (and we all think so, too, because lets be honest, this guy is creepy as hell. And the way he can make you do things as if you're actually doing them?? Scary!), but it turns out to be Bobby the whole time!! What!!

Bobby has been the sneaky villan this whole time, enhancing his abilities, stealing others abilities and enhancing those as well, and I got to be honest with you, the way that plot twist presented itself, made me completely bug-eyed and speechless. The whole book took a complete 180 degree turn and it had me, dare I say it, mind fucked!


This book become my favorite after Bobby present himself as the true villan, and as everything else clicked into place, I deemed this book to be absolutely and perfectly wonderful. I am dying, and I mean dying for the next book that, thankfully, comes out in less than two weeks!

Pivot Point is an absolutely amazing book, very well placed and incredibly well thought out. I recommend this book to everyone, because everyone has to read it and fall in love with it like I did.

(Please excuse me, my book reviews aren't even reviews at all. They're more like book talks. All I do is rave about mow much I love/hate the book. I've been lying to you guys. I say it's a book review, but it's really just me screaming about how much feelings I have towards the book.This makes me a bad book blogger, doesn't it? It totally does. I'll accept it.)

Memorable Quotes

"When I read, I feel emotion all on my own. Emotion no living person is making me feel."

"Just promise me something. If this is a Search and you don't pick me, don't pick this path, for whatever reason, promise me you won't Erase me."

"Because an illusion is an illusion. Reality always exists despite the facade."

No comments:

Post a Comment