Saturday, January 11, 2014

Review: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Title: Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy #1)
Author: Kertin Gier
Release Date: May 10, 2011
Page Count: 324 pages
Rating: 4/5 stars
Do I Recommend it?: Absolutely!

Summary from Goodreads: "Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!
Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.
"

(Review under the cut)

Review: I literally just finished this book and I knew I had to write a review immediately. Ruby Red was such a wonderful book that I wish there was more to it! Nevertheless, once I finish this, I'm starting Sapphire Blue right away!

The beginning of this book was a bit slow, which made it hard to get through, but once I got halfway into the book, where Gwyneth starts time traveling, I was hooked. Time traveling is a subject I'm not really used to (I mean, I watched Season 1 of Doctor Who, and I also read All Our Yesterdays!), so reading a book that deals with time traveling is very interesting to me. I enjoyed Gwyneth's journey with time traveling, too. She wasn't happy that she ended up with the time traveling gene, but she still went along with all of the craziness and handled it very well! Not to mention she didn't take anyone's crap, which I loved! When you're surrounded by elders who are arrogant about the knowledge they hold over you, it's hard to not bend to their will when they are menacing (like Dr. White, Falk de Villera, Aunt Glenda, etc), but Gwyneth still stood her own. *Sighs* Bless characters who are brave and stand up for themselves while still being amazing!

I very much enjoyed Gwyneth's relationship with Gideon! I'm super glad there wasn't any insta-love. It was nice seeing them hate each other at first to growing to like each other. That Gideon see's that she's not just some ordinary girl you can boss around - she has a mind of her own and he respects her for that.

I loved how the story was written. Throughout the whole book, I was reading it in a posh British accent, which, I'm not ashamed to admit, made the reading experience all the more enjoyable! (Not that it wasn't enjoyable!).

Can we just take a minute to appreciate the covers of the book? And not just the first book, but the whole trilogy? Like seriously, it's so gorgeous! Sometimes, I find myself staring at the covers and just stroking it and not actually reading it lol.

Aren't they so gorgeous?! *sighs*
One thing I was upset about was the lack of Paul and Lucy. I absolutely loved their story and how they fit into all this! When Gwyneth and Gideon met them in the end, I was hoping their interaction would be much longer! I'm dying to find out why Lucy and Paul ran away with the chronograph! I pray that there's more of them in Sapphire Blue!

Another mystery: Gwyneth and Gideon's dopplegangers! What! What happened there? It was very great and interesting moment when Gwyneth traveled back in time for the third time and through the window, she saw two people who looked exactly like her and Gideon! And then the subject was never brought up again! That was so interesting, I want to know more about said dopplegangers! *Jumps onto my book case and picks up Sapphire Blue ravenously* (Lol, just kidding, I'm not an animal). (But I will attack this book).

No comments:

Post a Comment