Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Book Talk: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Title: Under the Never Sky
Series: Under the Never Sky #1
Author: Veronica Rossi
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Genre/Age Group: Dystopian, YA
Add it: GoodreadsThe Book Depository
Page Count: 374 pages
Rating: 4/5 stars

Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland--known as The Death Shop--are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild--a savage--and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile--everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

My Thoughts

Going into this series, I didn't expect much (which is good because you're either blown away or barely disappointed in the end), but by the middle, I couldn't get enough. I absolutely loved Under the Never Sky! The story was very fast paced, very thrilling and always kept me wanting to read more.

One thing I really enjoyed were the contrasts of the worlds. Everyone inside the pods, the Dwellers, are perfectly made while the Outsiders, those who live outside the Pods, live in Tribes and their society and their politics were very interesting and much like what I learned in Sociology last semester (thank you, Professor Bach!). I liked the contrast between the two, mainly because I was comparing my world and Perry's savage tribal life.

I wish we got to learn more about Aria's world inside the Pod. I know she explained how the Realms work and how the SmartEye works, but we didn't get a look inside the pods, instead we were more invested in the Outside world, not that I minded. I would love to have experienced Aria going through one of her party realms in the Reverie. I would have especially enjoyed seeing how their "normal" lives were like; going to school, the places they'd hang out, what her breakfast/lunch/dinner was like.

I really enjoyed Perry and Aria's relationship! They were so cute, it makes my heart squeal!! I just had one small problem; Yes, they did gradually start to like each other, the build up was very nice, but as soon as they kissed, their relationship intensified.  Their love wasn't insta-love, thankfully, but once they fell into each other, it was like it was *too* much, you know? It was very intense, very fast. Not that I'm complaining! I love them together, I'm just saying.

All in all, I absolutely loved this book! It's safe to say that I devoured Through the Ever Night (review/discussion coming up soon) and after the aftermath of that, I'm taking it slow with Into the Still Blue. I'm halfway through and even though I've heard good things about the conclusion to this trilogy, I'm still scared! But if you're reading this review, and you're wondering if you should read it, my answer to you is YES! YES READ THIS SERIES NOW!

Memorable Quotes

In the afternoon, they stopped to eat on a rocky outcrop. Perry brushed a kiss on her cheek while she was chewing, and she learned that it was the loveliest thing to be kissed for no reason, even while chewing food. It brightened the woods, and the never sky, and everything.

If there was no fear, how could there be comfort? Or courage?

Your voice sounds like a midnight fire. All warm and worn in and golden. I could listen to you talk forever."
"I could never do that".
She laughed at him. He brought his lips to her ear. "Your scent is like violets early in spring," he whispered. Then he laughed at himself because though it was true, he sounded like the worst kind of fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment