Thursday, May 1, 2014

Book Talk: True Colors by Melissa Pearl

Title: True Colors
Series: The Mask #1
Author: Melissa Pearl
Release Date: February 16, 2014
Genre: Contemporary, Fantasy
Age Group: Young Adult
Add it: Goodreads
Page Count: 370 pages
Rating: 3/5 stars
Caitlyn Davis always cruised through life, not being the type to ruffle feathers or involve herself in high school drama. That is, until a chance encounter with a strange, homeless man changes everything.

Suddenly, Caitlyn has the ability to see behind people's masks. She discovers that her life isn’t as simple as she imagined and high school is filled with secrets...some very sinister ones. 
Unable to ignore her new gift, Caitlyn embarks on a mission to learn why one of her friends suddenly appears terrified, but masks her fear with a bright, smiling veneer. Will Caitlyn's new ability lead her into hot water? Or is her new found vision a blessing that will expose her friends' true colors?

Her quest will lead Caitlyn to lose friends, stand up for those in need, and even find love.

At Palisades High School every face tells a story.
My Thoughts

When I first read the premise of this novel, I found it very interesting. A girl who can see what you're really feeling? Yes, please. I've never read anything like this before, so I was very excited to get into it. Now, after reading it, my thoughts are very iffy. I can't say I hated it, but I don't want to say that I loved it. Overall, I found it okay. Let's break it down to the good and the bad.

The Good: Caitlyn, in my opinion, was a great character. She was very soft in the beginning, always bending over backwards, doing things she doesn't really care for just to appease her best friend. Best friends are supposed to be supportive, right? Well, Caitlyn's best friend, Stella, hated it when Caitlyn did things that didn't involve (or revolve) around Stella. But I'm glad by the end, Caitlyn focused her compassion and her good heart to those who truly deserve it. 

Her power was pretty spectacular, if I do say so myself. Caitlyn has the power to see what someone is truly feeling; she can rip away their mask of a facade and see their true emotions. Her power can also coincide with that of knowing if she's being lied to. Granted, she cannot tell if she's being lied to, but a sincere face tells all and I really liked that.

Oh, and Eric. Eric was a very, very, very good part of this novel, too. *winks*

The Bad: Like I said before, Caitlyn was a softie and that pissed me off. She would stop doing what she loves to do just to appease her friends who barely gave a shit about what she wanted to do. I don't bode well with selfish people and just meeting characters like Stella and Chase just piss me off.

Caitlyn was surrounded by, legitimately the worst kind of people ever. They're the pretty, popular jocks types who hold themselves higher than anyone else and if someone isn't "typically pretty," they just rudely cast them off (like dear Libby). And it takes Caitlyn about the first half of the book to realize this. Like, come on, Caity! I knew Stella was a terrible person from the moment I met her, surely it can't take you this long to realize it, too?

One thing I can't shake was the writing. It wasn't bad per se, but it felt ... rushed? As soon as we figure out the conflict about who's really behind the horrible acts, Caity and her group act right away. Yes, there have been books where the characters just go off and do their thing without any course of preparation, but I feel like those situations were handled properly. With Pearl, she made a stand-offish character turn into a love sick puppy in a matter of two minutes, had him believe Caitys power without any doubt, and they were off. I I don't know, to me, the whole second half of the book could have been handled better. 

Over all, I enjoyed True Colors very much, and I will be continuing the series. I'm curious to see where Pearl will be going with the rest of her installments. And I'm definitely on board The Mask series if there's going to be more of Eric involved ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment