Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Top Ten Blogging and Reading Confessions


The Top 10 Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish where each week you post your top ten best, worst, etc. This week's topic is your (or, well, mine) blogging and/or reading confessions.

I haven't been very active on my blog and I'm so sorry for that. I guess this post will basically both be a TTT post and a explanatory reason why I'm not posting much. Killing two birds with one stone!

1. Reviews, believe it or not, are hard to write.

This is terrible, for someone who has made this blog to write reviews. I am a person of few words, unfortunately, and when I like a book, I won't have an extensive list reasons why I enjoyed it. But then again, I feel like I'm putting too much pressure on myself when it comes to writing these book reviews. People don't care if you use fancy words to dictate how you feel about a book, do they? If they can read your review and understand what you are trying to say, then isn't that all that matters? I need to remind myself of this.

2. Blogging has been a lonely venture.

I thought, that when I started blogging, I would find some other small blogs like myself and make a blogging buddy, like all the big bloggers do. But it's been almost a year and I didn't expect to have a huge audience, but I hoped to at least make a friend through this venture. Then again, this is also my fault, since I haven't really sought out other small bloggers as well, though not for my lack of trying. Maybe this next year that will change?

3. Original posts, not being review posts, are difficult to come up with.

About 85 percent of my posts are all book reviews because I don't know what else to post, shamefully. But I have been meaning to fix this, just I've been too scared to try. I'm not a great writer and I was hoping this blog would help me, which it partially did.. 

4. Staying neutral in reviews, especially negative ones, are hard for me.

I have posted negative reviews before, where I completely lash out at the book about how much I hated it. Since then, I have regretted my decision and have been trying to be more compliant in these reviews. If I do ever write a book review for a book I didn't like, I will try (I keep using the word try) not to be cruel.

5. I get jealous.

I see other blogs updating once or twice a week with original posts and it makes me ashamed of myself, because I'm not posting as much as I should, and I'm not coming up with original and hilarious content that shows off my wit and charm to my readers (more like to random people who stumble upon my blog).

6. I don't have an extensive vocabulary

This sort of goes with reason #1, when I write a review or even a post (or, hell, even on my booktube videos), I can't come up with other words besides "great" when I want to say this book is, well, great. I always revert to one word because my mind is stuck on that one word and I can't think of other words and this just frustrates me. Like, a lot.

7. I like to stay in my comfort zone when it comes to reading and posting reviews.

I like to read most genres, but I stick to contemporary mostly because they are easy to read and, to be honest, for personal reasons. I don't like to read adult books, high fantasy books, or even classics, because they seem hard for me to grasp and when I can't understand, I feel stupid. Too stupid. Then I'd start to hate myself because, if other people can read this book without any trouble and understand it completely, why can't I?

8. Reviews all start to become the same.

I like to read books with the same area of genre and plot, like in reason #7. I also like to review said books. But when I write one contemporary review for one book, and then other review for another contemporary, I feel like I'm repeating what I had already previously said.

9. I don't think I'm that interesting.

There, I said it. I don't think I'm interesting here or on my booktube channel. I feel bland and square and as much as I am trying (damn it, there's that word again!) to make myself different and noticeable, it's a great deal of effort and sometimes I'm not even sure it's worth it.

10. I hate book-to-movie adaptations.

I really, really do.

---

I started this post with the intent to be personal, but I got really personal, I really surprised myself. I hope this becomes a waking call to me to improve my blog and make my blogging journey a little better.

4 comments:

  1. It took me 3 years to really tap into the blogging community! I just...I just had no idea how. I was a very clueless newbie blogger. ;) And I agree that reviews can start to sound the same...some books are insane to review as well. I try doing random things so I highlight books without JUST reviewing them. *shrugs* As long as I'm having fun...that's all I care about really. ;)
    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! As long as it's fun, it's worth it!

      Delete
  2. +JMJ+

    Blogging can be very lonely! I learned this firsthand as well. =/ Many times, I have had to remind myself that I love working on my blog--the way other people love working on their gardens--and that I'd keep doing it no matter what.

    Making friends can be tricky. I once had a great friendship with another blogger that allowed our blogs "to cross-pollinate" each other. Something she wrote would inspire me to post something; and then that post would make her post something else . . . It was a real dialogue that let our blogs grow together, and it was wonderful! But she got tired of blogging a couple of years ago and decided she'd rather hang out at Pinterest and Instagram. =( I still miss her, but what can I do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really great analogy! It's important to do things for yourself and not others, and I always forget that. Thank you! And don't fret, maybe you'll make a another new friend along the way!

      Delete