Seriously! It literally angers me, to the root of my core when I find out that my favorite book is going to be a film. (Not that it's been signed for movie rights; that's just when there's a possibility that it's going to be a film. Oh no, I mean it's been picked up by a studio company, getting a cast, etc).
The reason why I hate it is because 95 percent of the time, the movie gets completely fucked up, and who wants that? And it's like once one thing goes wrong, everything goes wrong, and it's like I'm all aboard the Titanic, expect I don't have Jack to save me.
Here's the slow-burning agony of what I go through during the movie process:
- First, you find out about the casting and then the actors cast, you find out, are 100% the opposite of what they are described as and the fury enrages! The casting is all wrong! (Do we need to talk about Divergent? Isn't Tris short? And isn't Tobias 18, not 30? Please).
- You forgot about the wrongly cast actors for a while (a blissful while) until promo pictures come up, with this cast and it's literally impossible not to roll your eyes heavenward.
- While this is going on, your dislike blows up to be full on hatred and you don't know how to stop it. You try not to care and forget about it, but them BAM! A new still comes out and you just want to punch a wall.
- And then, guess what, trailer time! The first teaser trailer is about to come out and you are literally here, like
- Then the movie comes out and you refuse to watch it, because it will only boil the hatred even more (yeah, I'm very dramatic about it; sue me).
- But then everyone else watches it and just will. Not. Stop. tweeting about how much they love it and your just stuck in this "love-fest" for something you can't stand. You just want to reach through the screen and shout, "What is wrong with you! Can't you see how terrible everything is!"
But now ... Something miraculous has happened ...
I'M EVOLVING! (Sort of)!
I'm starting to realize that I kind of .. don't care ... about ... book to movie adaptations!
The other day, I was just scrolling through tumblr, and I saw a post of Divergent (I have everything related to Divergent blacklisted) and this one person didn't tag their Divergent post so it showed up on my dashboard, and I ... I didn't care!
The rage didn't boil in me this time, which I find a true miracle. You guys don't understand how much I hated (and still do) the Divergent cast. I could sit here and point out why I dislike each and every person cast, but then I would be here for hours, and none of us want that. (But honestly? Theo James? He looks 30 and Four is 18 .. Please). Yet, when I saw the post, I didn't think much of it! I just literally shrugged my shoulders and said "I don't care!" I think I deserve a high-five for that.
I feel like I'm growing up! But I still have some more growing to do, it seems.
While I've descended from Hatred-ville into I-don't-care land, I still feel like I'm teetering on the edge of the two. As you all know, The 5th Wave is going to me a movie and I was absolutely livid with the casting when it was first announced. (Chloe Moretz? Seriously? You couldn't find another white, blonde actress? Please). But now? I'm only semi-annoyed! SEMI! I'm evolving! I never thought I'd see the day!
I think what I truly hate about book to movie adaptations was the fact that they were touching the book in the first place. Books are perfect just as they are! Why do people have to come in and ruin it with their films? I don't want your grubby movie-making hands putting a finger on my favorite character, okay? BOOKS ARE PERFECT JUST THE WAY THEY ARE, SO STAY AWAY. *breathes* I still don't like book to movie adaptations, but I'm glad to say that they don't piss me off anymore. Now, I don't really care about them. (Not completely, still working on that).
I"m gonna go stuff my face with Hershey kisses with caramel because, gosh darn it, I think I deserve it.