Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Don't Worry Babies, I'll Get to You Soon!


The Top 10 Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish where each week you post your top ten best, worst, etc. This week's topic? My top ten 2014 releases I meant to read but didn't get to.

Every year, I create a space in my journal and jot down all of the book releases coming each month, and being the compulsive book buyer that I am, I pre-order all the one's I'm excited for. I'm happy to say I got through a lot of the releases I was anticipating (albeit a couple of months later), but sadly there were some that I couldn't get to before the year was over.

My list is actually just shy of ten, which I'm very quite proud of! But I'm making it my job (nay, my duty) to get to these books as soon as I can.

1. The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey: I absolutely loved The 5th Wave when I read it last year! And I was super excited for the sequel. Come release day, I'm too busy with work and school to read it. Then some time passes and my friends tell me it was alright and it made me less interested to pick it up. But I will definitely get to it this year!

2. The Winners Curse by Marie Rutkoski: This was definitely an impulse buy; I saw the cover and I was absolutely sold! Then it stayed on my shelves for months. But recently, I've been hearing nothing but great things about this novel and it's making me interested! 

3. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart: Again, another impulse buy. Also definitely going to be getting to this year! There were a lot of high and low reviews with this book, but it's super short so 

4. The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings: Another impulse buy. (No surprise there!). The plot interests me a lot, I love a good sci-fi dystopian and I've heard good things about TMC! Also, how cute is it that Lindsay Cummings has her own book tube channel?!

5. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson: I'm so bummed that I couldn't get to this book last year! This was one of my most anticipated releases of 2014! I read The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson earlier in 2014 and I absolutely loved it! (My review here!) So when I heard that she was writing a new novel, I was all aboard! And ironically, I picked it up this weekend and I'm loving this so far!

6. Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy: This one, I was very excited about when I first hear about it pre-release. It was very hyped up in the book blogging community. But when the book was finally released a read a lot of not-so-great reviews, which made me hesitant to read it. It's been said that the main character isn't very nice and can be manipulative at some times, and that put me off. I don't like mean main characters. But one day I realized, maybe it's a good thing that the character is mean? I mean she did have cancer and wanted to seek revenge. It's a different mind set and it's an interesting way to take things, so with that in mind I hope to get to read it this year! 

6 comments:

  1. I'm impressed by how short your list is! I wanted mine to go higher than 10, I struggled to get it down. Here it is if you're intersted: https://victoriajaynesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/top-ten-tuesday-6/

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only there were enough time to read all the books we want too, it would be great wouldn’t it? Nice list of books this week. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVED the Infinite Sea. I could not understand at all why people didn't like it so much. We Were Liars is also definitely worth a read but I was quite disappointed with the Winner's Curse. The Murder Complex is also on my list and Lindsey does seem like such a nice person.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved We Were Liars. It was one of those, "oh, just one more chapter..." books where you finish and realize you've kept your boyfriend waiting three hours for lunch. Ahem. Hypothetically, of course. :)

    Ditto on The Infinite Sea.

    Great list!

    Kasey @ thestorysanctuary.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We Were Liars was very good and definitely worth a read. I'm looking forward to I'll Give You The Sun being released over here but it's not for a few months yet I don't think. I bought The Winner's Curse recently and I really want to read it but I have so many other books to get to. I also want The Murder Complex but I've heard mixed things! Great list!

    ReplyDelete