Monday, January 12, 2015

Review: Blue Lily, Lily Blue

Title: Blue Lily, Lily Blue
Series: The Raven Cycle #3
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Release Date: October 21, 2014
Genre: Fantasy
Age Group: Young Adult
Add it: Goodreads
Page Count: 355 pages
Source: Bought
Rating: 5/5
There is danger in dreaming. But there is even more danger in waking up.

Blue Sargent has found things. For the first time in her life, she has friends she can trust, a group to which she can belong. The Raven Boys have taken her in as one of their own. Their problems have become hers, and her problems have become theirs. 
The trick with found things though, is how easily they can be lost.

Friends can betray.
Mothers can disappear.
Visions can mislead.
Certainties can unravel.
My Thoughts

Please excuse me while I use this post to blatantly fangirl over Blue Lily, Lily Blue. Because wow. I mean, wow. I remember when I first heard of the raven boys. I took one look at the cover and immediately disregarded the book and the series as a whole. I had previously read Stiefvater's other series, The Wolves of Mercy Falls, and I wasn't a big fan, hence another reason to ignore the Raven Boys but oh my God, am I glad that I read it!

This series is like magic (no pun intended). Once you start reading, you can't stop. You fall deep into the story, you get so invested you can't put them down. I think that is mostly due to the amazing Maggie Steifvater. She has such a way with words that is so beautiful, so magnificent. She writes a variety of characters in an intricate style, in the world of Welsh folklore in Virginia and it's so captivating. Her writing is definitely my favorite part of her books, by far.

In this book, we see more of Blue's home and her family of psychics, a part we haven't seen much in the series, and the Gray Man (!!!) desperately looking for Maura, figuring out where she went. A lot more is going on in Henrietta, and I don't want to spoil you but man, oh man, it's worth the read. I'm a softie when it comes to families and getting to see more of Calla's volcanic rage, Persephone's calm nature and the Gray man's bad-ass yet tender heart, made me more appreciative of Blue's family.

My favorite aspect of the series is the characters and their relationships. I love the friendship between Blue and the boys. They are deeply interwoven and it's enchanting to see them together. Their relations with each other are so dynamic and sound, they are completely in sync with one another and it's such a beautiful thing to see. Maggie Steifvater wrote a quote about their relationship in BLLB and it is, word for word, is the perfect description:

"But what she didn't realize about Blue and her boys was that they were all in love with one another. She was no less obsessed with them than they were with her, or one another, analyzing every conversation and gesture, drawing out every joke into a longer and longer running gag, spending each moment either with one another or thinking about when next they would be with one another. Blue was perfectly aware that it was possible to have a friendship that wasn't all-encompassing, that wasn't blinding, deafening, maddening, quickening. It was just that now that she'd had this kind, she didn't want the other.

I'm so excited for the next (and final!) book in the series. It makes me sad that the series is coming to an end, but I can't wait to see what Maggie has in store for us! There are so many questions! (Will the gang find Glendywr? Will they get their favor? Will Blue and Gansey finally kiss?!) I know that the last book will surpass the previous three and I will be here, waiting patiently for more news.

No comments:

Post a Comment